Wednesday, January 7, 2009

First Day High


First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for all the encouragement! Being a professor has always been one of my greatest dreams (since highschool actually, and this desire intensified even more as early as my freshman year in university) so your support really means a LOT!

I've been asked to teach "Introduction to Global Society" to a non-bloc, non-IS (int'l studies) class at  8am-930am every Mondays and Wednesday (this means I get to wake up at 4:30. I'm not kidding! It takes me three hours to prepare and all that jazz. Oh! Just to provide you guys a brief intro about this aspect of my life: I took up International Studies, Major in European Studies for my undergrad (I graduated last June 2008, but I wasn't present during the ceremony cause I was attending summer grad school at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University), and I am currently in grad school (this is the last term of my 1st year)... and yes same degree :) 

Anyway, I was up until 1:30 am designing my syllabus' layout and furnishing the 41 copies for my students-to-be (OMG! I can't believe it - "my students"!!!). Woke up at 4:30 to begin the morning rituals, walked out of the door at 7:23 am (I live across our university), and landed in the IS Dept at 7:31 am. Can I just say that I went through a bit of disaster before leaving our flat - I was returning my blow dryer into the closet when my favorite bottle of Orly Plum nail polish fell, shattered, and splattered rich, glittery nail polish all over the floor and ALL OVER MY FEET! I had to pour half a bottle of nail polish remover to get all the gunk off!!! Fortunately G was already in the department so I just kept hopping and squealing around the department while it was still empty. I began to walk to my assigned classroom at 8:10 to give the students some leeway. After all, it's their first class of their first day of classes. 

There are no words to describe how I felt as I pulled the door and stepped into the classroom. 
 
"Is this (subject)?"

A low "yes".

"Good morning guys! I'm *!llegally blonde* and I am your prof for this term.  I know this is the earliest class ever so I'm sure it's a pain for all of us to be here. Nevertheless, let's help each other out in making this class as lively and bearable as possible. Here is the course syllabus - get one and pass." 

I surveyed the room... the sea of faces...a few of them were giving me shy smiles, while the others were doing the usual what-type-of-prof-will-she-be-like-does-she-have-fashion-sense once over assessment (hey I was and still am a student so I'm familiar will all the tricks in the book hehe). I introduced myself briefly, went through the class list, discussed the syllabus, asked them to form their permanent groupings, go through the cheesy "introduce yourselves" portion, and dismissed the class 30 minutes early. 

I emphasized the following:
1. I shall be strict in checking attendance - we are all suffering from the early schedule.
2. I will not tolerate distracting noise - there were these two girls who were talking loud enough (they were sitting 4 rows aways from me) that I could already make out their conversation. 
3. If you didn't do your reading/don't have a copy of the reading then don't come to class at all. 
4. Let's work together. I will do my best to give you the best grade possible. 

I survived this week's meeting. 
Prof at 21.
It's too good to be true. 
Everyone keeps reminding me that it is true.
I'm so happy I'm floating.
You have no idea guys. No idea.



9 mouth offs:

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm so glad you added me! I'll add you as some as I get home tonight to my laptop!

I can't wait to read about your adventures teaching. I'm currently trying to decide if I want to go to grad school for my writing. I've always loved the university setting and wanted to teach, but worried it would hurt my creativity. I can't wait to follow along and hear about the second day!

Tina said...

Congrats on your first day! Sounds like you've got it all under control.

NYStateBeauty said...

WOW! That's amazing! Now you have your chance to sit on the other side of the desk and TEACH!

Sounds like you're going to be a great teacher!

Have fun (well, as much fun you can have at 8:30 in the morning!) lol

Debbie said...

Good for you! I came over from The Blonde Duck and I am so happy for you. Glad the first day is behind you and went so well.

The Hnou Mrs. said...

I know this is late, but OMG!! I'm so happy for you! And I am beaming with complete and utter Yay-ness because that is an AMAZING accomplishment! YAY YOU!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a fabulous first day! I know what it's like to be close to your students age (of course I am like 12 years older than my 6th graders compared to your 2 years). But it definitely works to your advantage. Until they try to ask you out... Yes, my 6th graders are rather bold! Good Luck tomorrow! Hope it's as fab!

Claudine said...

I'm so happy for you! I look forward to reading more of your Prof escapades...

Niko Batallones said...

I'm trying to imagine you as a professor... might take a long time to get used to the idea. Still, nice to hear that you're actually here!

DietCokeStraightUp said...

Hey!! I wanted to let you know that I tagged you and gave you an award on my blog! Hope you're having a good day!!